Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Hanover Habitat for Humanity! We are delighted that you have taken this step to learn more about how you can support us as we partner with people from all walks of life to provide families in need of simple, decent, affordable housing. This volunteer-driven organization relied on volunteers like you to help families realize their dream of homeownership.
Due to COVID-19, all volunteer opportunities are operating differently for the time being.
- ReStore - We can accept 2 volunteers per shift in the store. Shifts are either 9-1 or 12-4. Volunteers must wear a mask at all times. We take temperatures of volunteers and regular employees upon arrival to our store. This is to protect our customers, volunteers, and staff.
- Construction - We can NOT schedule groups or individuals.
- Recycling - Recycling volunteers are working like usual, but with masks and physically distant when possible.
Please email or call Amanda Gunter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-569-6108 x104 to get on the schedule, or to be notified when we are able to restart scheduling construction.
- Seeking volunteers Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (changed due to COVID)
- All skill levels welcome; no experience necessary!
- A perfect opportunity for a group of friends, coworkers or organization!
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
- Groups of 8. Individuals welcome!
- See the calendar below to see what days are available for groups.
- Seeking volunteers for 4 hours shifts
- Duties include unloading and sorting donations, merchandising, customer service and donation pickup.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
- Seeking volunteers one day per week (typically Tuesdays, but we are flexible). Work can be done between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Duties include loading, unloading and sorting cans, scrapping old appliances, and participating in can pickup runs.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old.
Office: (changed due to COVID)
- Seeking Volunteers for one 2-4 hour shifts, one day per week.
- Duties include assisting with data entry, mailings and other clerical tasks as needed.
- Scheduling is flexible during office hours! Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Housewarming Gift Baskets:
- Volunteers are asked to create housewarming gift baskets. They are intended to be given to our homeowners when they move into their new homes and help start their new chapter. These gift baskets are another way to give them a hand up in their new homes. (There's a max of 3 baskets per homeowner) Individuals or small groups are welcome to contribute. *Currently not accepting baskets until end of Summer*
Homeowner Greeting Cards:
- Our homeowners are hardworking families who have qualified for an affordable mortgage, worked many hours of sweat equity, and are now living in their homes and are experiencing the joys of homeownership. They have worked hard to become homeowners, so we want to continue to support them after closing on their home through their daily lives. We want to lift up our homeowners with a greeting card. Whether this card is for a special holiday, or ‘just because’ – it shows our homeowners they are on our minds and all their hard work does not go unnoticed.
- Habitat advocates to change policies so that we can eliminate barriers to adequate, affordable housing. Building is only part of the solution, but the less visible aspects of housing like laws, regulations, and rules about land are critical components, too. Sustainable and inclusive systems can promote access to decent housing, while others can create barriers. Those barriers make it harder to find land for construction, build a home or be able to afford a place to live. How can you help? Know your legislators and get in contact with our representatives via phone call, an in person visit, mail, or email.
To register as a volunteer, please call 804-569-6108 x104 or email us at email@example.com. There is an online form below the construction calendar you can also submit. If you do not hear back from us within a reasonable time frame, please email us directly!
Please review our calendar for upcoming construction volunteer opportunities. Dates marked as “Reserved,” have been previously scheduled for volunteer groups and individuals.
Volunteering as a Requirement:
If you need to complete court ordered, pre-court, or school (credit or non-credit) community service hours, you must be 18 years or older to work in the ReStore and 16 to work on Construction. If you are needing to complete these type of hours, please click here and learn if you qualify. Contact Amanda Gunter, Director of Community Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below to get started.
Download our Volunteer Manual that covers all of our policies and procedures for each of our volunteer opportunities. You can take a look at our waivers, forms, and more in this comprehensive document. If you have questions, feel free to contact the Director of Community Engagement, Amanda Gunter. Volunteer Manual - FY 20-21