Become a Covenant Church!
Would your congregation like to help reduce the number of Hanover families living in substandard or unaffordable housing? Would you enjoy the opportunity to work in partnership with the community to build decent, affordable homes? Perhaps there are already a number of people in your congregation who already support or have a strong interest in Habitat for Humanity.
Hanover Habitat for Humanity is an interfaith nonprofit Christian organization, committed in partnership with qualified families and community volunteers to create and sell homes with no-profit mortgages.
It has indeed been an answer to prayer for over 50 Hanover families, and counting! As natural allies in our mission, we recently developed a Covenant Church program to engage churches through prayer, volunteer service, and a monetary donation.
What is the Covenant Church Program?
The Covenant Church Program is a commitment between a congregation and Hanover Habitat for Humanity, to put God’s Love into Action. We bring people together to build homes, communities and hope.
What commitments must a covenant church make?
A Covenant Church commits to just three things:
- PRAY Congregations may choose to pray privately or as a congregation for Hanover Habitat homebuyers. There are also opportunities to lead a devotion or prayer at a construction build site, events, or home dedications.
- SERVE Congregations can volunteer in whatever capacity best suits them. Some opportunities include volunteering at a build site, in our office or ReStore, referring a homeowner candidate, attending house ceremonies or other events, joining a committee, participating in our recycling program, or involving children and youth.
- DONATE Congregations agree to make a financial gift to support the mission work of Hanover Habitat. Even the smallest financial contribution can begin the covenant relationship.
How does Habitat’s Covenant Church Program benefit churches?
Not only is this a great way to solidify your intentions to be in partnership with Hanover Habitat. It also gives your congregation a strong sense of supporting God’s concern for the economically disadvantaged by helping low income families buy a decent home with an affordable mortgage. The Covenant Church Program allows church members to express their faith through a practical “hands on” partnership that meets the housing needs of the inadequately sheltered. Covenant Churches will be proudly displayed on Hanover Habitat’s website. Churches will also receive monthly communications to remain updated on Hanover Habitat’s mission.
Is the Covenant Church agreement a legally binding document?
No. It is a faith commitment, similar to an individual’s pledge to the church. Renewed on a yearly basis.
How does our congregation become a Covenant Church?
We’d love to come and speak at your service or appropriate committee meeting about a partnering covenant with Hanover Habitat.
Covenant Church Partners
- Atlee Community Church
- Christ Church Episcopal
- Church of the Redeemer
- Cool Springs Baptist
- Emmanuel Episcopal Church at Brook Hill
- Epiphany Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Fairfield Presbyterian Church
- Fairmount Christian Church
- Lebanon United Methodist Church
- Mechanicsville Baptist Church
- Mechanicsville Christian Center
- Meadowbridge Seventh Day Adventist Church
- Messiah Lutheran
- Ravensworth Baptist Church
- St. Ann’s Catholic Church
- Sharon Baptist Church
- Springfield Christian Church